Wednesday and Friday’s are rest days
A marathon is a long race. This is a marathon training program that can get you to your race in 16 weeks and not put a lot of pressure on you. You have to run and it gets difficult but it is not training 4 hours a day.
Some of the terms defined in the training program are as follows :
- Choice – You choose to either run or do a cross training activity
- Easy – A comfortable pace
- HYF (How you feel) – Just run how you feel. Some may even take their watch off or just start the timer and not be tied to the mile intervals.
- Fartlek – Speed Play (run at different speeds at whatever periods during your run.)
- Intervals – Short (.25 to 1 mile) fast repeats followed by a slow recovery run. Helps with speed and endurance.
- Tempo – Run slightly slower than a 10k race pace
- Hills – Try and get in a little hill running especially if your selected marathon is hilly.
- Long – For marathon training this is the most important run of the week. Builds strength, endurance and most importantly your confidence.
- Rest – don’t do anything. Recovery is very important
|1||3 choice||3 easy||Rest||3 easy||Rest||Rest||6 miles long|
|2||3 choice||3 fartlek||Rest||4 easy||Rest||3 miles HYF||8 miles long|
|3||3 choice||4 tempo||Rest||5 easy||Rest||4 miles HYF||10 miles long|
|4||3 choice||4 intervals||Rest||6 easy||Rest||4 miles HYF||12 miles long|
|5||3 choice||5 hills||Rest||6 easy||Rest||5 miles HYF||10 miles long|
|6||3 choice||5 tempo||Rest||5 easy||Rest||Rest||14 miles long|
|7||3 choice||5 intervals||Rest||5 easy||Rest||5 miles HYF||10 miles long|
|8||3 choice||4 hills||Rest||6 easy||Rest||5 miles HYF||16 miles long|
|9||3 choice||6 tempo||Rest||5 easy||Rest||5 miles HYF||10 miles long|
|10||3 choice||5 intervals||Rest||6 easy||Rest||4 miles HYF||18 miles long|
|11||3 choice||5 hills||Rest||8 easy||Rest||5 miles HYF||10 miles long|
|12||3 choice||8 tempo||Rest||6 easy||Rest||Rest||20 miles long|
|13||3 choice||4 intervals||Rest||8 easy||Rest||5 miles HYF||10 miles long|
|14||3 choice||4 hills||Rest||6 easy||Rest||4 miles HYF||12 miles long|
|15||3 choice||3 tempo||Rest||5 easy||Rest||4 miles HYF||7 miles long|
|16||3 choice||3 easy||Rest||3 easy||Rest||2 miles HYF||26.2 miles|